Train is an animate locomotive. In the series, she/he is considered a minor character, but in most episodes she/he is one of the main or supporting characters.
Train is a red wooden locomotive with a 4-2-2 wheel arrangement and a two wheel tender. He has a blue funnel, dome, wheels, round cab window frames and piston rods, white drawings of a flower on the cab doors and passenger carriage doors and gold headlights on the front of the train that act as the eyes.
- In the original series and the 2005 film, he has been shown to talk, but in the 2007 revival series, his way of communication is by whistling like an ordinary steam train.
- In the original UK release of the film, it is implied that the Train is mute, and that all of his lines of dialogue are actually internal monologue (his thoughts) rather than him actually speaking.
- For example, none of the other main characters seemed to be able to hear what Train was saying.
- After Zebedee’s supposed “death”, Train states that even if he could speak, he wouldn’t know what to say, further hinting that he is actually mute.
- In the American version of the film, Train has much less dialogue.
- In the French dub of the film, he is completely silent.
- In Eric Thompson’s English narrations of the original series, he is portrayed as a female character.
- Thomas the Tank Engine’s name is used for one of the nicknames.
- In early 2020, YouTube user Mk2 Dan made a custom model of Train. Although it looked nothing like the 2005 movie counterparts, the model was later modified to have more of a striking resemblance to the 2005 movie counterparts.