What You Need to Know About Eating Bass
Can You Eat Bass?
Bass is widely popular among anglers. Whether you fish bass for sports or you want to eat it, most would ask if this type of fish is safe to eat. If you are into bass fishing, the question is, can people eat bass? There is no doubt that bass is really delicious. You can use it to prepare and cook any dish that you want.
Large Mouth Bass Hooked
Fishes in general are safe to eat. Yet, you still need to be cautious. In the case of bass, you need to have moderate amount to avoid mercury poisoning. Experts suggest that you only eat 6 or even fewer number of servings per month in order to avoid mercury poisoning. Let’s catch them.
Can Pregnant Women Eat Bass?
There is nothing wrong if you eat bass. However, there are a few exceptions. For pregnant women, they need to be careful with their food intake. In general, fish is safe. But then, they cannot just eat any fish.
Few people may not be aware of it but there is a possibility of mercury poisoning and this is something that any pregnant woman should definitely avoid. Based on the findings of the National Resources Defense Council, they found out that black and striped bass contain certain amounts of mercury.
Exposure to Pollutants
Fishing bass in clear waters is safe. But we cannot also disregard the fact that there are polluted rivers and lakes. And if you happen to fish in these waters, there is a big possibility that there are industrial pollutants. They contain contaminants like polychlorinated biphenyls that are usually found in lakes and rivers.
Large Mouth Bass is finding food
In same way as you need to be careful when eating raw seafood, it is basically the same thing when eating fish since they may have pathogens like listeria. This is very dangerous to your health and if the fish is not completely cooked, it could result to food poisoning and even infection.
Cooking Freshwater Bass
As long as you fish bass in clean waters, you do not have to worry. After fishing, there are lots of ways to cook your freshwater bass. Cooking bass is also the same when you cook other kids of fish dishes. Cooking techniques that you can use when cooking bass include frying, broiling, baking and grilling. You can even make a fish fillet out of it. Watch this video on how to make a bass fillet.
Are you ready to enjoy your freshwater bass? Here are some tips in cooking your freshwater bass:
Click to View Post Navigation
- Step 1: Set your oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 2: Using a non-stick cooking spray, put it on a baking dish. Then, sprinkle some pepper and salt.
- Step 3: Put your bass in the baking dish.
- Step 4: Squeeze in some lemon.
- Step 5: Bake the fish for 30 minutes or until it reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Baked Sea Bass
Pan Frying Bass
- Step 1: Put some olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Step 2: Put the fish into the pan.
- Step 3: Using your favorite herbs and other spices, season the fish.
- Step 4: Now, you are ready to cook it for about 5 to 7 minutes.
Another way of preparing a bass dish is to broil it.
- Step 1: Make sure that the broiler is turned on.
- Step 2: Spray some non-stick spray on your broiler.
- Step 3: Season the fish with spices and herbs depending on your preference.
- Step 4: Put the fish on the rack.
- Step 5: Broil it for about 5 minutes.
- Step 1: Put non-stick cooking spray into the grill and turn it to medium-high heat.
- Step 2: Apply some olive oil on both sides of the fish and put pepper and salt.
- Step 3: Cook the fish for about 10 minutes.
Grilled sea bass Fish
Important Things to Keep in Mind
When eating bass, you need to make sure that you clean it as soon as it is caught. Do not overcook the fish and you need to be careful when you remove the skin. Some people may not like the taste of bass, but there are others who really enjoy it. At the end of the day, people have different preferences. But what is important is that you prepare the fish not just considering the quality of the taste but as well as the health considerations.
There are different ways and techniques that you can use to prepare bass. You can even access the net to search for delicious recipes using this particular fish. But when preparing and eating food, you need to be more cautious. In as much as it is delicious to eat bass, you cannot rule out the risks considering that there are pollutants that can be dangerous to your health. So, just be mindful with the fish you are going to eat.
Have you tried any sumptuous bass fish recipe? Any suggestions? We would definitely want to hear from you.
you might also like : What Types Of Food Do Bass Eat